Thursday, May 20, 2010

First Day - Wrap Up

All in all, the first class went well. We had to do a bit of backtracking for the people who didn't know HTML/CSS but even that was pretty cool. I like doing stuff "on the fly" that it isn't written up in the book. We had to do a good bit of debugging, but eventually our script worked.


It was a pizza delivery website, and we had to fix the usual syntax problems (parenthesis/braces, etc) - but the real problem was an ID we attached to the body tag on the html side which wasn't referenced in the script. I thought that would just show as a "warning" like an unused variable in C (at least in my IDE that's what happens) but that the script would still execute. I guess it was because the get.ElementById function wasn't addressed properly because of it? I guess with our body tag it would have been get.ElementByID(test.order) instead of just (order)? I should really ask about that.


I'm feeling a lot less stress about O. O. - it still seems weird compared to doing procedural, but it doesn't feel like reading Martian or anything. The way it was explained to us is that properties are parts of the object. For instance, the clock object has an hour, minute and second property. You'd use a method to change or modify each of those properties. In terms of html, things like text boxes, radio buttons, check boxes and whatnot are objects. Natch. I'm still a little worried about remembering all of it, but I suspect it's like anything else - you remember the stuff you use all the time, the rest you look up in the reference.


I'll jot more as I finish up the first two assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment